You GUYS!!! I can’t even tell you how much you are going to love this sauce. We love delicious, homemade food but gosh, sometimes I just dislike spending 4 hours in the kitchen preparing an amazing meal. So for us, having an arsenal of simple, quick, delicious recipes is key. My favorite part? This sauce is simple enough for a week night but special enough for a date night at home or a dinner party.
I call this four ingredients because I don’t really count grapeseed oil or salt & pepper as main ingredients. We always have those on hand and they are a minor part of the recipe. Also, the meat is completely optional! So four ingredients it is!! 😉
- 2 red onions
- 3 large cans whole, peeled tomatoes
- 5 (or more!) cloves of garlic
- 1 package basil (roughly chopped)
- Grapeseed oil (or extra virgin olive oil is great too!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: ground turkey sausage/chicken sausage/turkey/beef etc.
- If using meat, cook with some oil in the stock pot until brown
- Once meat is cooked, remove from the pot and set aside in a separate bowl
- Quarter the 2 red onions and place them in the pot with a drizzle of oil and some salt and pepper (I usually do 2 finger-fulls of each)
- Toss full cloves of garlic in with the onions
- Saute for 5-7 minutes on med-high heat until onions are translucent
- Add 3 cans of whole, peeled tomatoes – juice and all!
- Stir it all up and let this simmer on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- Sauce should be bubbling away now – add rough chopped basil
- Simmer for another few minutes while you get your hand blender ready
- Take sauce off of the stove and blend away!
- Blend until smooth – sauce will be pretty thick
- Put pot back on stove on low heat (add meat now if you are using it) for another five minutes
- Taste and add more salt & pepper according to your preferences
- Serve over your very favorite pasta and with a side of veggies if you so desire! And most definitely sprinkle some fresh parm and basil on top. OH MY YUM!
This sauce is perfect to make and freeze so you can quickly defrost and serve whenever you need it! It’s also wonderful in all sorts of dishes like lasagna, stuffed shells, chicken parm etc. Not to mention, it’s inexpensive to make! You can’t much better than that, if you ask me.
What are your favorite go to recipes? Comment below and share away!
Enjoy, my lovelies!! Happy Thursday!
Love, The Adams